Monday, May 23, 2011

You're Killin' Me, Smalls - Scrooge in May?

          For the last seven years I have caddied at a private country club near my home. This past weekend I double bagged (carried one bag on each shoulder) for 54 holes in the blistering heat. This was for a two day tournament called the "Captains Cup", where two members are paired up as a team and duke it out on the links for the lowest team score.
          After carrying two bags totaling over 80 pounds (which is well over half my own weight) I have scabs on both of my shoulders and sunburn that painted my skin red. I don't usually whine about how bad it hurts, but 54 holes in two days is a lot of golf.
          So you'd figure that at the end of two days, in which I did an outstanding job, that my golfers would tip me. You would be wrong. I made the base pay, which is $80 per 18 holes, adding up to $240 for the weekend. Other caddies were bringing in between $300-$360. It isn't that I'm a worse caddie, it's that I got a pair of miserly scrooges.
          On the 12th hole on the last round, my golfer remarked how tiring it was for him to play this much golf in one weekend. Excuse me? YOU'RE TIRED!? I never realized how hard walking around is...
           So you're thinking to yourself "Shut up, that is good pay for such a stupid job". Yeah it is good pay, but these guys are millionaires. Nobody at this club makes less than 7 figures a year. It really wouldn't be that hard to tip an extra $20 per round, considering they use Washington's to wipe their butts.
          All I ask is that if (when) someday you become a wealthy country club member, please tip your caddie.

1 comment: